So, here I am.....

The girl that said she'd never blog. The far from computer savvy girl that is always up for a challenge despite a serious lack of time.My blog goals. Do I have blogging goals? Hmmm, I guess I should. So I pledge to be funny, lighthearted, not vent or complain to much and maybe just maybe share a crumb of wit and wisdom on occassion.I will most likely chat about etsy, my addiction and muse. the incredible artsists and friends I have found in a community that oozes with creativity, friendship, support and a home for all things handmade.You will hear me ramble about the insanity of my life including my 3 boys, ages 12, 16 and 53. Yes, that last one I am married to, but trust me, he is just as much boy as man. After 17 years of marriage I find myself raising him along with them. Then again, he would probably say the same of me at times. I will often speak of friends I would go to the ends of the earth for and a family that more often than not defines dysfunction. Then again, I strongly believe a functional family is the stuff legends are made of.I am a lover of music of all kinds and not so much the TV ( except maybe Glee). I have an addiction to handmade glass, especially venetian and lampwork beads as well as unique pottery. I have made a concerted effort to tame my jewelry fetish with my own creations which can be seen at http://www.kjbeads.etsy.com/If you haven't figured out by now, I can jabber my jaws and my fingers as if someone could care what I have to say.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's Never to Late


I had the pleasure and shame of writing a most overdue note today. This past summer, I received a request to send a congratulatory greeting to a most special person. I don;t know if I misinterpreted the request or felt the need to say more than a quick, "way to go!" but the bottom line is, I never did it. I didn't ignore it, I just set it aside. The time passed and the event took place without my sentiments, still, I left that request in my "to do" pile. It was too important to ignore but needed the time to be done just right. Well, the year is closing and as I wrote my holiday cards I decided this was the time. I had been too long overdue and needed to be said. I would have to bite the bullet and say what needed saying. As a lesson learned from this lovely person, take time for the small stuff. Slow down and appreciate the world that surrounds you every day. And so I did. It ended up being almost a two page letter and I'm still not sure that my heart was reflected. Here's why.

There are two very special people in my life. Not my parents or my children, but two very special nuns. Now, you know if you read this blog with any regularity that I could use a little help in the spiritual department. Then again, maybe that;s what has kept me out of major trouble considering some of my antics. I do believe that despite my life as a punk and my ability to be a royal bitch at times, these two loveliest of souls have also shared in my ability to be patient and understanding and charitable, not to mention an advocate for all children.

Sister Miguel and sister Louis have been a major influence in our family since before I was born. Having taught my mother, aunt and uncle in Kindergarten and 1st grade, sister Miguel has shared her life with us. She became fast friends with my Grandmother as a young parent and has stayed close to all of us her entire life. All 93 years of it. She has just celebrated her 75th year in the order and her 93rd birthday. What an accomplishment.

Now, it must be said that these sisters are not your typical Catholic nuns. They may have worn a habit and wielded a ruler back in the day but I find the ruler part hard to believe. Sister Miguel spent many, many years as a primary grade teacher and not always in the best of neighborhoods. Her gentle spirit and genuine kindness touch more souls than can be counted. If that wasn't enough, she went on to profess early childhood to another generation (or three) at what is now Concordia college outside of Chicago. Sister Louis earned her law degree and passed the Bar in her fifties, going on to represent many a wayward youth in the family court system and beyond. Working for gift of doing for others rather than a paycheck, she has touched just as many lives in her lifetime.

These ladies have had a significant influence in my life. They can throw back a Manhattan over a poker table with the best of them. They will indulge in the sweet richness of a good fried walleye cheek and dance the hula at a luau. Someday, when old enough to actually get the joke, my son will smile at the comment, "I've been waiting for that my whole life, now I can die happy" when he said, I have a lei for you at the last Luau for my grandmother's 90th birthday. You see, that is the humor and life they have taught us to so enjoy. I know many a teenager that would love to be able to hit a wiffle ball the way Miguel did at seventy five, sleeves rolled up in the backyard with a couple five year olds. I do believe that if she had her eye sight today, she'd be out there with my kids, giggling at her curve ball.

So, in addition to watching 3 generations receive sacraments and comforting us through some tough losses over the years, the woman have been great friends. Actually, they have been family. There for the good and the bad. They have comforted, guided, consoled, celebrated and rejoiced with us. Holidays, birthdays or just a good old family meal.
Today, I took a lesson they taught me. I slowed down to appreciate life. The everyday life we seem to not have time for. I reflected on some of these thoughts and stopped my busy life to share them. I had the privilege of expressing what they've meant to me. How they have influenced me and my gratitude. They are the embodiment of friendship in every sense of the word. Wise, gentle, caring souls that have blessed my life in an indescribable way.
Thank you Louie and Miguel! You will never know what you mean to me.

No comments: